Thursday, September 13, 2012

NaBloPoMo Sept 13 #500 For My Dad

I do not believe in coincidence. I believe everything happens at the perfect time. Like this blog post.

 18 years ago today, my Dad died very unexpectedly. Today is my 500th blog post. Look at today's writing prompt...

 Who is someone you wish you could see again?



At first, it blew my mind and then it made perfect sense. Of course I would choose Dad.
This is the post about what I learned from him. 
This is the post about the day he died 

I still miss him so much that it makes my heart hurt.  When he died, my kids were 6 and 9. I would want to tell him all about the adults that they are now. He loved my kids so much and he would be proud of them. Especially the part about how kind they are. I would also tell him about my brother's kids.All 5 of them were born after he died.

I want him to know that I read the Hemingway books, but just couldn't get through the C.S Lewis.
I still listen to the CD's that I brought home after the funeral.

He needs to know that Mom had a really hard time, but she deserves a T-shirt that says "You've come a long way, baby". She has become more independent than I ever thought she could be.

My high school friends still tell me things they liked about him.
We still watch Jeopardy! every night.
I still make that awesome Stuffed Quahog recipe he taught me.

I still tell people two of his favorite quotes..."The guy who graduated dead last in the Medical School class is still called Doctor" and "Hospitals are no place for sick people".

I remember when he used to call my pathetic Karmann Ghia "that little gem". (Imagine that comment followed by a sarcastic laugh). I can hear him every time I see one on the road.

He never met Tigger or Lily, but he would love them, because he never met a cat he didn't like.

On this anniversary, I'll be at Disney World. At some point during the day, I'm almost sure I'll see something that reminds me of him. I may smile through tears, but I will smile.

 




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds really wonderful. And like a reader with exceptional taste.

Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

Your Dad sounds like a great guy all round. I miss having a Dad, too. Our families seems very similar. My Dad only met my two oldest kids and NONE of the other 5 grandkids. I like that you had a Karman Ghia. I wanted one so much. Such a car of the 70's! My kids never even heard of them.

Keetha said...

Oh, goodness, I feel for you. What a heartfelt post.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Jeanne, my friends still say cool things about my Dad and his corny jokes. It makes me so happy. I'm glad your Dad had the same impact.
PS How handsome are they in service uniforms? :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Your kids lost their grandpa at the same ages (basically) my kids lost their grandma. That really is the biggest loss.

Your Dad sounds amazing--I'm happy you had him for as long as you did and I know how much you miss him.

Crude Oil Tips Free Trial said...

Excellent post of "NaBloPoMo Sept 13 #500 For My Dad"

MCX Crude Oil Tips Free Trial

Best call center services said...

Thank you for sharing This knowledge. Excellently written article., if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!..
outbound telemarketing services

David Smith said...


This Blog is really nice and helpful. We hope our post will be useful for all visitors of this prestigious blog. stock market tips

Alfa Designs said...

Very Helpful Post. Keep sharing such informative articles.
Venetian Mirror
Bathroom Mirror
LED Mirrors