Sunday, June 21, 2009

Things I Learned From My Dad

How to cook scrambled eggs
How to make a milkshake
How to do long division
How to perfectly toast marshmallows
How to see the humor in things
How to love classical music
How to eat steamers

Johnny Carson is funny
So is everyone on the Carol Burnett Show
Walter Cronkite is trustworthy

Where to scratch a cat so you can make it purr
You can drive all the way to the top of Mount Washington
If you're going to go camping, a pop-up trailer is pretty comfortable



How to sit quietly in church.
You do not count the number of nuns, candles, stained
glass windows, people with hats, or lights in the ceiling.

I never saw a Purple Cow
I never hope to see one
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one

Age 1 is not too young to introduce a grandchild to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Age 2 is not too young for a grandchild to ride in the wheelbarrow on top of a pile of rocks and dirt.
Age 3 is not too young to introduce a grandchild to Jeopardy!

When your child calls you and says she is taking your 5 week old grandchild
to the ER of a major medical center, the grandparents should
arrive no more than 2 minutes after the child and his parents get there.

If you find an author you really like, you should read everything they've written.

If you're going to do something, give it 110%

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention that the hospital was more than 50 miles away. You also didn't mention that 2 was not too young to go to the pumpkin patch and pick your own pumpkin....

your father also didn't judge people by the way they looked or you wouldn't be with me because I was a long hair hippie freak when you started dating me ;-p

blackbird said...

I love this post SO much.
A perfect tribute.

Cat said...

Sounds like a wise man.

Missy said...

I love this post. It made me try to think about what I learned from my Dad. He died when I was 15 so it was before I really got to appreciate him and what I could learn from him. So, I did my post about things I remembered. Thanks for the inspiration!

A Reminder to "Live" said...

I love when dad posts on your blog
Figured this would help you find me better

love,
your offspring

Fannie said...

Wonderful acknowledgment of all your father means to you.

Anonymous said...

You had a great dad. I enjoyed reading this post.