Monday, September 10, 2012

NaBloPoMo Sept 10


Different memories have different triggers for me.

 Mr Sunshine started smoking cigars and whenever he lights one it always makes me think of my grandfather. He smoked cigars the whole time I was growing up.  My grandmother comes to mind when I'm making a French Meat Pie. I learned to make it from her. It's the smell of the spices. Christmas Tree pine takes me back to picking out the tree with my Dad every year. Carnations are my wedding day.

Certain pieces of music remind me of times I sang in church or school concerts. Classical music and Big Band music were Dad's favorites.He was in the military, so parade marches and patriotic music makes me think of him. Hearing Southern Gospel makes me think of Mom. Norah Jones is the Bank Of America Pavilion on the waterfront in Boston, James Taylor is the Providence Civic Center, Kenny Wayne Shepherd is the Mohegan Sun in CT and Eric Clapton is the Tweeter Center in Mansfield MA.

Lobster with butter tastes like Cape Cod. Maple Syrup and Sharp Cheddar Cheese taste like Vermont.
Fried Clams taste like Massachusetts. Monkey Bread and Omelettes taste like Christmas morning. Fireballs taste like the candy store stop on the way to high school marching band practice.

Petting Lily's soft kitty fur makes me think about Buddy and Miller and Tigger.  I think of Mom when I'm rolling meatballs. Walking on soft white sand on the beach takes me right back to Cozumel.

Wordsworth called memory the "inward eye."  Are your memories more sight-based, or do they concern sound, taste, touch, or smell?

2 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh gosh, Cozumel would feel good right now :)

Keetha said...

So evocative.

For me, scent and music are the most powerful.