Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Salmonella And Jelly Sammy

We eat a lot of peanut butter. I have a deep love for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I'm pretty loyal to the Skippy. It's what I grew up on. My Dad's idea of dessert was a slice of white bread with a thick layer of Skippy. I've tried the all-natural stuff at the fresh market, but it just wasn't the same.

Have you ever sat with a jar of Skippy, a knife and a pile of Hershey Kisses and.....No? Is THAT how I got my fat-ass?

Back in January of 2009, Mom came down with a case of Salmonella that we traced back to the deadly jar of Peter Pan Peanut Butter in her kitchen cabinet. She was VERY sick and it took her about a month to get over it. I used to be a microbiology tech so I get a little skittish when the news reports recalls for Salmonella and E.coli

When I heard this week that Skippy was recalling Reduced Fat peanut butter I wasn't too worried about my stash. We buy the full-fat version....HellYeah! But the first thing I did was call Mom to check hers. As soon as I said Salmonella she hobbled to the kitchen and confirmed that she had Skippy Reduced Fat in her closet. Thankfully, none of the expiration dates that are recalled matched the jar in her closet.

Whew! A case of salmonella 6 weeks before her back surgery could have been a disaster.

We can all eat our PBJ's with peace of mind. And my mind can fondly recall my fat ass days of Skippy and Hershey Kisses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That would have been a disaster. And I read the recall JUST when we were running low on peanut butter here.

Crazy Mom! said...

Peanut butter & nutella. MMM. Now THAT's some good eatin'!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Now I want peanut butter!!! And jelly. Is that the ultimate sandwich or what?

I don't have any of the ingredients. :(

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I had a friend--who could have stood to lose a few pounds--who poured chocolate chips into her jar of peanut butter and used a spoon.

I won't try it because I might never stop.

Mrs. Tuna said...

When I was young and poor, I lived on peanut butter with mayo and lettuce sandwiches.