Wednesday, November 17, 2010

NaBloPoMo: Day 17- Kiddy Lit

I'm doing National Blog Posting Month with a twist. Every day I'll write 5 things about a specific topic.

NaBloPoMo Day Seventeen- 5 of my favorite kid's books.



1. Stargirl

I read this book when I worked at the information desk at Barnes and Noble. I wanted to be able to give good recommendations to the Grandmothers who wanted to choose a book for a grandchild, but were concerned about inappropriate content. I loved Stargirl. She was the new girl in the school who was "different" in a place where they admired conformity. She experiences a rise and fall in popularity. The things she did changed the people she met.

2. Hans Christian Andersen

This was my favorite book when I was a child. I think I read each of the stories a dozen times. My favorite was the story of the Wild Swans that were really princes with a spell on them. Their sister was Eliza and she had to knit coats of nettles to turn them back into princes. My second favorite story was the one about Thumbelina.

3. Down On The Farm With Grover
My kids were big fans of Sesame Street and we ordered a lot of storybooks from a Sesame Street book club. This one made my kids giggle. Grover goes to his uncle's farm to care for the animals. He has no idea what animals eat and our favorite part was when Grover can't figure out why they don't like spaghetti and meatballs.

4. Sheep In A Jeep
This one was a fun rhyming book. Sheep in a jeep on a hill that's steep. Uh-oh! The jeep won't go.

3. A Garden For Miss Mouse
This was one of my personal favorites. I read it so many times that I had it memorized at one point. Miss Mouse plants a garden that gets a little out of control. The townspeople have to help her solve her problem.
Every first of April Miss Mouse tills and rakes and hoes
And then she plants a garden in neat and tidy rows

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore that you know lines from each of these books--and Star Girl looks pretty darn good.