Thursday, November 11, 2010

NaBloPoMo: Day 11-Vacation Time

I'm doing National Blog Posting Month with a twist. Every day I'll write 5 things about a specific topic.

NaBloPoMo Day Eleven- Fly me away to these 5 vacations

1. Graceland ~ I'm not a crazy Elvis fan, but I've always wanted to see Graceland. While we're in Memphis we can celebrate the history of Blues with a walk down Beale Street. I could spend an afternoon strolling in the Brooks Museum and cap off the trip with a day cruise on the Mississippi.
2. San Francisco ~ Mr Sunshine has been to SF. I've been to SF. We've never been to SF together. I was there for 2 days after a Sonoma Valley wedding. In order to see as much of the city as possible, we took a bus tour that included the entire northern section of the city and included the Marin Highlands. The next day we rode the trolley and spent an obscene amount of time at the Ghiradelli factory store. We didn't get to spend any time in Chinatown or enough time in Golden Gate Park. I would love to go back with Mr Sunshine and combine the vacation with some wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma.
Bold3. Anguilla ~ This is a little British Caribbean island. I first heard about it when I read Bob and Melinda Blanchard's book A TRIP TO THE BEACH. They left their life in Vermont and opened a restaurant on Anguilla. According to the guide books, there doesn't seem to be much to do there except relax, but that doesn't sound too bad.

4. Austria~ I'm a Mozart Geek and a Sound of Music Geek, so naturally Austria is on my bucket list. My friend has been and convinced me that I need to go there.



5. London ~ Oh London, I LOVE YOU. We had a chance to do a whirlwind 4 day trip to London in 1999. We crammed as much as possible into those 4 days, combined with some VW obligations that we needed to attend. We saw Les Miz in the West End, ate lunch at the original Hard Rock Cafe, Covent Garden, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Windsor Castle, rode the Underground all over the city, ate fish and chips in a pub and went on a nighttime dinner cruise on the Thames. They were still building the London Eye. We missed the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and I didn't get to see St Paul's Cathedral. I still need to see the Tate Modern and spend more time at Shakespeare's Globe Theater. I want to explore the OXO Tower boutiques.
If Mr Sunshine won't come with me, I'm taking Jen!









7 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

Well you know how much I love London. I'd drop everything and more there in a heartbeat.

I'd like to go to Austria and San Francisco too.

Anonymous said...

Your taste in vacations and mine are SO SIMILAR! Someday soon I hope to make the pilgrimage to Graceland. Maybe we should plan to meet up?
And London...j'adore London.

Lover Lady said...

1) Italy. I want to eat and drink myself from the top of the boot to the heel to the toe and back.
2) Australia. So many things there you cannot see anywhere else in the world.
3) Paris. The Louvre. Cheese. Wine. Fresh baguettes. Sitting in front of the Louvre eating cheese and baguettes while drinking wine. Le sigh.
4) Seattle. Coffee and craft beers. Need I say more?
5) Turks & Caicos Islands. Because it is beautiful and the name makes me giggle.

Lifeofkaylen said...

I really like San Francisco also! There's so much to see.
I dont' know anything about Anguilla, but I want to read that book!
I think we are going to be in Austria on July 18th, 2011 - let me know if you want to meet up!! :)
And we hope to be in London on July 11th - see you at the palace!

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

I will write pages for you when you hit San Francisco and wine country. My very favorite place ever.

I SO want to to Austria on that Sounds of Musics thing. My husband says that would be a go for him too!

Fannie said...

San Francisco IS fabulous but give me the beach ANY day! Says the girl living in the Midwest…

Marthavmuffin said...

Love me some London, and the southern coast of England, New Forest Brighton, Isle of Wight. I would move there in a heartbeat too.