Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Good Gator!

Today was the last day we could all spend together before Cape Cod Kid heads back up north Wed night.

We wanted to do something we've never done before. That eliminated all the theme parks.There are so many other things to do in the Orlando area. So we went here.....

We needed food so we went into the restaurant. Guess what we ate?
Yes, it's Gator Tail. It's very tasty, mild like chicken, with a consistency less chewy than calamari.
Then we did this.....




The kids and I.
We were given earphones to block out the sound of the airboat engine. It's very loud.
Lake Jessup is a 10,000 acre lake that is only 5 feet deep. It is 45 minutes north of the Disney area.
And we saw GATORS. The boat takes you to the coves along the shore.
The only house we saw was the one owned by the family that runs the business.
Disclaimer: Mr SS knows the family, but we still paid for our tickets.
Clicking on the photos will make them bigger.
This guy is about 15 years old

This is a "nursery" area. These 3 little guys are toddlers. They're about 2 years old. They stick by Mama Gator until about 2 nesting cycles after they are born.
They appeared to be around 3 feet long.

The vegetation is flattened from the gators crawling out of the water.To the left of this area we saw one trail that went for a long distance that was 2 feet wide. Our captain told us it had been made by one gator.
Another medium-sized gator.
Including the babies I spotted about 18 gators. They move very fast and as soon as the boat gets too close, they go under water.
We all took turns holding a baby gator. His mouth is taped shut.

This is the website for the company http://www.blackhammockairboatrides.com/location.html
Fun way to spend the day.








8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *think* that sounds like fun, but I also admit to have shivers thinking about being so close to gators.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "having" shivers.

Cat said...

I love seeing gators. Snakes, too. I'm weird that way.

Anonymous said...

D & I did a swamp and bayou tour in Louisiana once--it was SO awesome--the driver dangled a raw chicken off a pole to draw the gators nearer to us--FREAKY!

Anonymous said...

I love Dad's face in his picture. Email me mine please!

SeaWorthy said...

yikes!!!

I didnt think you could eat gator?? Cool, Better than them eatin you, sister!
That airboat ride looks like a blast!!!
coastal nest

Heather T said...

Wow, that is so cool! When I was a kid we'd drive from Fort Lauderdale to Ocala on US 27 and we always passed this sign for a place called Gatorama. We always wanted to go there and see what it was like, but we never got the chance. Too far from anywhere we were staying, I guess. But I wonder if Black Hammock is Gatorama reinvented??

btw, I went on a fieldtrip in 4th grade on one of those airboats and none of us got anything for our ears. The pilot did, but we didn't. I remember my friends and I screaming at the top of our lungs right next to each other and not even being able to hear ourselves. I'm sure I lost hearing that day.

I hope you enjoyed the last day of the whole clan being together!

BOSSY said...

Sounds delicious -- what a sweet family!