I'm doing National Blog Posting Month with a twist. Every day I'll write about 5 things on a specific topic.
Day One-5 Things I would tell my 16 year old self back in 1973.
(I kind of stole this idea from Sorority Girl's blog)
1. You are excited about the Civil Rights Movement and Feminism. You think someone who would take away or vote against equal rights of ANYONE is a crazy lunatic. You hate War.
You are outraged that Nixon beat McGovern in the Presidential election.
You may not have even heard this word yet, but you are a LIBERAL. By the way, you will ALWAYS be a Liberal. Much to the chagrin of your future in-laws.
2. When you get that Granny Apple Green Volkswagen Karmann Ghia in a couple of years, take better care of it. Check the oil more often. You will hate that the heater doesn't come on until you are already at the hospital in your polyester white uniform. You will realize later in life that it was a VERY COOL first car.
3. Don't be so hard on yourself. Nobody cares if you aren't perfect. Quit kicking yourself when you make mistakes. You will spend most of the rest of your life driving yourself crazy. Develop a "who gives a shit" attitude.
4. You have a pretty decent body. Appreciate it. Also appreciate the fact that you can pretty much eat whatever you want if you stay active. WATCH YOUR WEIGHT!! In 12 years when you have kids, you will gain obscene amounts of weight and never lose it all. When you are a diabetic, 53 year old and the "baby" is 22, you can't call it "baby weight" anymore. PUT DOWN THE FRIED CLAM ROLL, ONION RINGS AND COFFEE SHAKE! NOW!
5. That guy that sits in the back of Geometry class? The football player that is cute but kind of obnoxious? The one with a bit of a Southern accent? The one who is always challenging the teacher? YOU ARE GOING TO MARRY THAT BOY!!