I'm doing National Blog Posting Month with a twist. Every day I'll write about 5 things on a specific topic.
Day 4-Five famous people that were born in the city where I was born.
I was born in Fall River Massachusetts. If you're driving on I-195, it is the last major city before you hit Rhode Island. A few famous people were also born in Fall River. Allow me to do a little name-dropping.
1. Emeril Lagasse~BAM! Emeril and my husband both worked at the same restaurant/banquet facility back in the day, but not at the same time.
2. Lizzie Borden~ took an axe, gave her mother 40 whacks, when she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41. Lizzie was actually acquitted of the murders and she pretty much went in to seclusion for the rest of her life. The home where the murders occured has been turned into a Bed & Breakfast. Creepy?
3. George Stephanopoulos~ The ABC News/Good Morning America host was not raised there but he was born there.
4. Baseball Pro~This one is a 3-fer. Greg Gagne played shortstop for the Minnesota Twins from '83 to '92. Russ Gibson was a catcher for the Reds and the SF Giants from '67 to '72. Russ lived in our neighborhood after he retired. Jerry Remy played 2nd base for the California Angels and the RED SOX!! from '75 to '84. Jerry's grandparents were also my neighbors.
5. Joe Raposo~ You may not know Joe's name, but you may have sung one of his songs. Here are a few of his lyrics...
Sing, sing a song. Sing out loud, sing out strong. Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song.
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me. Oh! Cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C.
Sunny day. Sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street.
I'm Madeline, I'm Madeline! I may be very small. I'm Madeline, I'm Madeline! But inside, I'm tall!
Come and knock on my door. We've been waiting for you. Where the kisses are hers and hers and his, Three's Company too.
Joe was a high school friend of my Mom. I was honored to get to meet him before he died in 1989.