Monday, October 5, 2009

Poverty Party For My "Girls"



I took my "Girls" for a mammogram today. It was long overdue. I'm still residing in The Land Of The Uninsured.

The women in my family have been blessed to be almost completely spared by breast cancer. I've lost two cousins, one in her 50's and her sister when she was in her 70's. My aunt is a survivor.

My doctors have not been happy that I skipped my mammogram 3 years in a row. I'm not low enough in income to qualify for a free or even a low cost mammogram, but I have just the right combo of pre-existing conditions to put health insurance out of my financial reach.

This year I promised my doctors that I would get it done before my next appointment. They gave me brochures from a few imaging centers and last week I started calling. I told each person I spoke to that I had no health insurance and I was willing to pay for the mammogram before the appointment.

And then I started having heart palpitations when I was quoted prices starting at $285 and going all the way up to $600. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the last center I called would only charge me $114 if I paid prior to the appointment.

So off I went, with my lotion-free, deodorant- free body and had my mammogram done. It was a typical mammogram routine experience for me... Right Squish-Left Squish.... more Left Squish...ONE MORE Left Squish..needs to be compared to your Last Squish.

If you're a Poverty Party Girl and need to get a mammogram for your "Girls", there are resources available for women who are low income or "working-poor" with no insurance.

If you check the CDC website, you can click on your state to find out where you can get a low cost or free mammogram. Or you can do what I did. Get a list of accredited imaging centers and make some phone calls.

6 comments:

Heather T said...

I trust that the good $$ news is paired with good health news and that nothing looks abnormal in the scan.

By some miracle, I get a full year of freedom. At my postpartum check-up, my OB/GYN told me that if I've never had am abnormal pap, I only need to have them every other year from now on. And since I've had mammograms before and now I'm nursing, I don't have to have one again until after I'm done having children/nursing. Yea!

Fannie said...

Got mine squished last week - but with benefit of insurance thankyousweetbabyjesus.

BOSSY said...

Wow, this is so totally useful. Thanks bunches.

Anonymous said...

Yay for you for going in and getting it done--and for spreading the word! That's a great resource!

Cat said...

The difference in prices is astounding. I'm willing to be that no insurance company is paying a dime more than the $114 you paid even at the place that charged $600.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

A Bossy comment! Swoon.

I just had a huge "debate" with a couple of friends about health care reform last night. One of them asked, "do you REALLY know any totally responsible people without health insurance?" YES!