Thursday, November 8, 2007

Caramel Pumpkin Pound Cake

"Miss Truvy, I promise that my personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair." Annelle.-Steel Magnolias

I haven't got much today, so you're getting a recipe. The Sorority Girl is in a panic because Semi-formal is Friday night, she wants me to do her hair and I have to work until 6pm. Mr Sunshine State wants me to cut his hair this morning. Does my family think I went to hairdressing school?

I made this cake last week. It was dangerously good. So dangerously good we each took a quarter of it to work to share. We didn't want the whole thing in the house talking to us from under the cake dome. I didn't even make the sauce or glaze but instead I added the chopped walnuts to the cake. I can't remember where I found the recipe.

Pumpkin Caramel Pound Cake
2 3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 C butter
1 tsp vanilla
6 eggs
3 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 small can pumpkin
1/4 C caramel ice cream syrup

Sauce:
1/2 C heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 C walnuts
1 cup firmly packed brown suger
Maple Syrup to taste

You can also make a glaze-type icing with confectioner sugar and caramel ice cream syrup and 2/3 cup of chopped walnuts.

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 or 10" bundt pan.In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Slowly mix into creamed mixture, alternately with the canned pumpkin. Beat well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake at 350°F for 60-70 minutes. Toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Cool for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.

While the cake is cooking, in a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, maple syrup, heavy whipping cream, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and walnuts. Serve sauce warm over cake.

No comments: