Friday, May 29, 2009

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Time

I went to Costco today. After I grabbed a bucket of Antacid and a 40 pound box of Pain Patches, on my way to the bushels of edamame, I passed the book and music section. I spotted this for $6.99 and added it to the GIANT SHOPPING CART.


I'm so old that any Simon and Garfunkel I've ever owned were on vinyl. I decided I'd like some on my new iPod. I popped it into my CD player and was instantly transported back to my Jr High School years of 1970 and 1971.

Saturday mornings (after I made my bed, dusted my room and practiced piano) were spent in my friend D's bedroom, teaching ourselves how to smoke cigarettes and play guitar. We figured we would be really cool if we could do both of those things. We bought some sheet music and learned I Am A Rock, The Sound Of Silence and Scarborough Fair. We were in the Geek Glee Club and our cool teacher taught us Scarborough Fair to sing in the Spring Concert.

After lunch there were two possible activities. Sometimes we took the bus downtown, tried on jeans at Sawyer's Campus Shop, had dessert in one of the coffee shops, visited D's grandmother in the high-rise apartments, then walked over to the Beauty Salon where her Mom worked and waited to get a ride home.

Other Saturday afternoons were spent at the Roller Rink. We skated in circles for hours...and hours....and hours. We were pretty groovy looking in our scoop-necked bodyshirts (Onesies for teenagers?) and EXTREMELY low-cut jeans with VERY wide bell-bottoms. How low cut, you ask? The zipper was only about 2 inches long. I used to be thin *sigh*

The "couples only" songs were a good excuse to hold hands with boys who were potential boyfriends or really and truly "just friends". I wonder what ever happened to Frank L?

And I bet D doesn't know I grew up and married her ex-boyfriend!

10 comments:

Gail said...

I remember listening to them for hours. They're still one of my all time favourite groups (if you can call 2 people a group!). I saw them in concert a while ago. If I weren't so old I could remember what year and tell you. At least I remember my name.

Anonymous said...

The last line made me literally lol.
love,
daughter

Cat said...

I love them. Yankee used to sing The 59th Street Bridge song to the kids every night when they were little.

Missy said...

I feel like I grew up with them as well. I too bought the sheet music and learned the songs on guitar! LOL...oh and wore the bodysuits! too funny! I'm pretty sure I still know the words to all their songs!

Daisy said...

My son's choir teacher has "Friday songs" - a collection of fun yet vocally challenging pieces that the teens have learned to love. My kid's favorites include (you guessed it) Bridge Over Troubled Waters.
And it's a small world: a high school friend now plays in Paul Simon's band. Yes, I'm impressed!

Nancy said...

I loved them, too. Your world brought back memories of mine. :-)

Badger said...

Oooh, Simon and Garfunkel were a big part of the soundtrack to my childhood. And OMG, the HOURS I spent at the skating rink! Although for me, couples skates were a good excuse to go to the bathroom or snack bar. I was kind of dorky. ;)

Anonymous said...

Those are some groovy memories, LMSS!

Fannie said...

Oh God - BODY SUITS! What were we thinking?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I had forgotten about bodysuits! My mother thought I went to Aquarius Roll-a-Rena All Night Skate every Friday night for a year. Actually? I've never been!