Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The German Bakery Story-Part 2

Last Monday night I dreamed that I was speaking German with Mr and Mrs G.
I understand a little from a year of German I in high school, but I can't really speak it very well.

I haven't seen them in over 3 years. They have moved back to Germany. As Mrs G's Alzheimers progressed, she was losing her abilities in English, but was still fluent in her first language.

Tuesday we found ourselves in Yalaha FL. I was looking for the sign for the blueberry farm and we pulled into the driveway. I found myself staring at a sign that said Yalaha Bakery. I recognized the building from a picture I had seen in a travel guide.

It's a stucco building with handpainted pictures on the outside walls. To the left is a small courtyard with tables and chairs for outdoor eating. This bakery is FAMOUS. Europeans who are living up to an hour or two away, come here on weekends to get their pastries and fresh organic bread. They have live entertainment and I have heard there can be a hundred people there.

I walked into the bakery and Ohhhhhh, mmmmyyyyy!

I can't even describe how big these pastries are. Want to drool a little more? Click on the pics and get a close up view of the deliciousness.
As I stood there looking at the pastries, I got a little choked up. I remembered my dream from the night before and for a minute, I thought I was going to cry.

Are these the prettiest tarts you've ever seen? They're called Rosebuds.
We turned to the right and went into a tiny little deli. We ordered sandwiches of German cold cuts on their fresh bread. We decided to take home a treat for each of us and a loaf of bread.
I got a Raspberry Linzer cookie, Mr SS got a big giant Apple Normandy that was a cakey-muffiny-apple thing with almonds on top, Sorority Girl got an orange danish.

Picking out the bread was not an easy task. I wanted one of each. We finally settled on a Sun-Dried Tomato Wheat. UPDATE! Sorority Girl says we got the San Francisco Cheese Bread. See the ones up in the left corner? The Cranberry Walnut Bread. Bigger than a basketball!
The bakery is about 45 minutes from here. Anyone want to come along on a field trip?



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I believe there may be some falso information here. Didn't we decide on the San Francisco Cheese bread and not the other one. Either way, it was delicious

Crazy Mo said...

Field trip and bakery. Probably two of my favourite words!

Maggie C. said...

Could you ship a loaf of bread & some white chocolate bread pudding to Santa Monica? OMG

loretta said...

OMG, you've tapped into an extreme weakness of mine: good bread!

I rue the day I ever found our French cafe cause it awakened in me the bread hunger that had lain dormant for 18 months.

The other day we drove to Arthur Avenue, the Italian section of the Bronx and bought a loaf of seeded fennel raisin bread. To die!

Mrs. G. said...

I'm on my way!

Fannie said...

I've traveled a bit in Germany and they do have the most fantastice bakeries. Yours looks like the real deal - YUM!

Anonymous said...

slurp. All that flakey, buttery, crunchy-chewy goodness in one place? am so jealous that it's near you and not near me.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Drool.

Where we vacation there is a similar establishment--Schatz Bakery. The breads, the Danish, the marzipan and the jams. It's vacation, why not spend $30 every other day on baked goods?!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

OMG those tarts look delish!

I'm trying to find an answer to your basil/black leaves dilemma and posted an idea under your comment on my site. I hope it helps!