Monday, March 30, 2009

Episode 200: Back With The Back Story

In Episode 200 of Little Miss Sunshine State, the role of Little Miss Sunshine State will be played by Special Ed the stuffed bear. The role of Tigger the Cat will be played by Tigger the Beanie Baby.

Little Miss Sunshine State has this little problem called Degenerative Disc Disease. Those little discs in between the vertebrae of my back like to bulge, break off in little pieces and eventually rupture. This has happened 6 times in the past 21 years. Make that 7 times, because it happened again last week.
This is the kind of pain that will lay me flat on my back. I spent Thursday and Friday in between my Martha Stewart Sheets, mostly sleeping and watching TV.
I drugged myself on muscle relaxers and slept about 18 hours a day.

Tigger was very concerned. If I was asleep, he was curled up on the other side of the bed, napping. If I was awake, he thought the best thing he could do for me was to plop his 24 Lb body onto my chest. Every time I asked him to fetch me an ice pack, he would gently place his paw over my mouth to shut me up.

With the help of nearly toxic doses from the Costco Bucket-O-Ibuprofen, I was able to smile and start sitting up for about 3 hours at a time. Today I ventured out to the grocery store (not my brightest idea).
Tuesday I'm going back to work.




8 comments:

Heather T said...

It's good to "see" you're back! I hope the pain is actually subsiding some and not just numbed by all the pain reliever.

Take care of you!

Jen on the Edge said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

raino said...

yikes. take care. loooove tiger.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Rest yourself and take advantage of all offers for help you poor thing! back pain is the worst!

Fannie said...

Lordy, I can't imagine. I've never had to deal with back pain - hope you're back to full speed soon!

Crazy Mo said...

Back pain is the absolute worst! I'm so sorry to hear you were in so much pain. But glad to hear you're on the mend. Maybe you should bring Tigger the Beanie Baby with you to work. You know ... for comfort. I'm sure no one will laugh at you. Much.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I hope you can take it a little easy at work--though at home would certainly be preferable.

Cat said...

I'm glad you have a good friend to hang out with while you recovered. And the good thing about cats is you don't have to take them outside.